When you know what your qualities are you are able to decide if they are helping or hindering your leadership. Remember to be improving your leadership abilities. Here are a few ways you can grow and obtain your team to be higher performers.
- Find out more about yourself as well as your style like a leader - What exactly are your strengths and what needs improvement? Ensure that you are helping your team to get at their full potential. Learn to be a transformational leader.
- Be a role model - Walk the walk and talk the talk. Model the qualities that you would like to see in your team. People will want to follow you.
- Be passionate - Care about the goals of the team. Be genuine and excited about the problem you're working on together with your team.
- Creativity is important - Encourage your team to express their creativity. Set challenges and goals that are at your fingertips of your teams abilities.
- Be positive - Be upbeat and optimistic. Be inspirational to your team and let them know that you are on their side. Even when things aren't working like you planned, maintain positivity and hopeful through it all.
- Listen and communicate effectively - You can do this with one-on-one communication for your team. You are able to inform them both verbally and nonverbally that you're sincerely concerned. Provide them with recognition for his or her achievements.
- Motivate your team - This can be done allowing your team let you know what their ideas are. You can always function as the someone to make the final decision, however your team will feel contained in the process of implementing ideas and goals.
- Make contributions - Welcome the minds of the team. You're the final word, however your team knows that you respect their ideas and in turn them. This gives them greater commitment, more creative problem-solving and improved productivity.
- Give rewards and recognition - This helps your team to feel appreciated and needed. You have to removed barriers to success and reward strong efforts. People will wish to meet your needs and you'll win their loyalty.
- Always try something totally new - The easiest method to make this happen would be to turn to your team for feedback and inspiration. You should always be searching for new ways to encourage, inspire, motivate and reward your team.
Your look of leadership will even depend on the makeup of your team. Many will need an autocratic leader where expectations are evident and defined. Then there is the democratic leader who offers guidance towards the team, but also looks towards the team for participation. Another leadership style is delegative where you might have little or no guidance to the team, this style could be effective where the individuals are highly qualified in the area of expertise.
You will find that you will find as many styles as there are people leading. Leadership has defined parameters, but will also take on the characteristics of the person leading. I hope you will discover your leadership personality and employ it to the fullest for that good of the team.